Thursday, January 31, 2013

I Try Tethering

I've seen people offer up their wireless phones as hotspots -- portable wireless access points (WAPs) -- when no other WAP was working.  It's slower than a normal, coffeeshop or home WAP since it just runs at phone-network speeds, but slow is a lot better than nothing.

The phone works as as a wireless router, provides DHCP addresses to other computers that connect to it , and shuttles traffic to the rest of the internet through the phone network.

Thinking, "I really ought to try that," I hunted through the Settings menus, and found (More... -> Tethering & portable hotspot) a place where I could turn on tethering.

I did it, had Kristina connect her Kindle Fireto my phone, and ... Presto!  It worked.  She could browse the web.

From now one, if I can get a cell signal, I can use my cell phone as a router and connect laptops or tablets the web.

No comments:

Post a Comment